Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Saints?? Bring on the Panters....of PARMA






New Orleans Saints?!?!?!....Don’t Need ‘Em…..We have the Parma Panthers!

12/30/08

Buongiorno.
I have disconnected myself from New Orleans Saints winning seasons long ago.
Yes, I would love for them to win.
Yes, I was excited the first season of the Brees/Bush era. They had a good year.
It they would ever win a Super Bowl, Yes, I would be happy.
When they play foolish and dim-witted, it aggravates me (BECAUSE THEY MAKE LOTS OF MONEY!).
Do I get mad when they lose, not for a long time?
(LSU – that is a different story)

I have read every book written by a few authors (or have them in line to read). Ted Dekker, Joel C. Rosenberg and John Grisham are a few of these authors.
I was fortunate to finish Grisham’s Playing For Pizza recently.
Like another one of books based in Italy (The Broker), I have a strong desire to go to Italy after reading the book.
I won’t go into great detail of the book. It a great read if you get a chance to grab it. In the book, the sport of Americano Football was prevalent.
I always knew they played American Football in Italy and also realized that it paled in popularity to Soccer.
Grisham’s book did what I wish for and crave when I read or watch a movie. It caused me to research, think, and hope and to want to explore.
I researched (the research has only begun) the Parma Panthers http://www.panthers.it/ football club and the Italian Football clubs.
I thought (while reading) about how the portions of Italy discussed in the book would be in real life.
I have a hope of a future visit to Italy (especially Parma – They make Parmesan cheese there) and to watch an American Football game.
It is causing me to explore (not only the Internet but also my own thoughts of Italy).

So back to Football.
The real Parma Panthers http://www.panthers.it/ have 2 new fans.
The 2008 Italian Football League http://www.ifleague.it/ season (runs from about March to May) was a success for the Panthers. The club went 8 wins and 2 losses and made it to the Semi Finals but lost to the mighty Bergamo Lions. The only paid players in the league or the Americans (And each team is allowed to only have 2 or 3). So these guys really do play for the love of the game.
If you are interested in broadening your sports horizons, check out some of the links provided. Until the 2009 season, this starts in about 3 months,
CHAO!

No comments: