Tuesday, December 2, 2008

"Pie" de Manzana WOW






“Pie” de Manzana WOW

12/2/08

Every day – at least 99.999999% of the time, we – me and the 2 wonderful people I work with – eat at our desk. We eat with one hand whacking at a keyboard and one holding the phone to our ear. Sometime we get really talented and have 2 or 3 conversations at the same time.
Well today, I am taking a stand (hoy tomo un soporte). As I am eating my mouth-watering (articule regar) lima beans and rice, I will do no work.
I will let the phone ring.
I will watch drivers out of the corner of my eye try to get my attention and play like I don’t see them.
Today I am taking a stand and writing a BLOG. Or BLOG O in Spanish.
So here it is…

Have you noticed lately that almost everything you read (ads, products, etc) are also written in Spanish or have Spanish verbiage written on the label?
This actually does not bother me. I think it is alluring. Plus it helps our Spanish speaking brothers and sisters get along in our country.
Actually my views on our melting pot are not that interesting or controversial or anything like that.
I don’t have a problem with a person working their but off – even if they can’t speak our language. To be honest, a lot of people in our country should look at some of these hard workers and model them.
Now on to what this is about.

My last name is Cortez.
Do you know how many times get a call with a Spanish speaking person on the other end?
People in my own company asked me yesterday (on an email) if I spoke Spanish. The reason: A Mexican customer and out own company’s Laredo TX terminal pretty much speak Spanish top each other (even on emails). They usually copy “American” people on them and they do type in English. For a few days I was getting copied in on these e mails between the two parties that were in Spanish. Every word. Then I see a reply asking me if I spoke Spanish. Of course I can never give a one word answer but in a round about way I said no.
Then the guy responds in English “No wonder you never answered the question.”
Do you know it took a few more emails back and forth to actually get the question? I thought about replying in French or Russian, but I can’t speak those either.
Interesting.

So in honor of my Spanish speaking friends and cousins from Progresso I bring you a current Winn Dixie’s “Have a Better Holiday Dinner” or “disfruta de una major cena para’ las fiestas.”
(Thanks to my co-worker Lariesha)
Lariesha printed it because we are thinking about having food for our office prior to Christmas.
So we are reading this thing and I must say I know how to say HAM (jamon’) and dinner (cena). I am getting a kick out of it, especially the title of this blog. WOW APPLE PIE.
Here is a little rundown: cena de Pechuga de Pavo Asada; 3.5 lbs pechuga de pavo cocida; 2 lb de acompanantes Praters; 16 oz de salsa de menudos Praters; 16 pannecillos…..only $44.99. WOW
Wasn’t Menudo a Latin young dude singing group? From what I can gather, menudos means giblet.
Live at the Monterey Convention and Visitor’s Center…The Giblets!!!!!!!!
“Pie” de Batato o Calabaza….$5.99.
Galletita con Mensaje……..$9.99.
One final thought on our new traveler’s companion (my Winn Dixie Sale paper) to Mexico…
All this will be a great help while in Progresso in January.
Let one of the locals stop me this time, they will think I just walked out of an ELGROCERYO STOREO.
One last thought: Lo casero es major en el “Deli’ de Winn-Dixie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! LOL!! I love it!!