Saturday, February 21, 2009

Remembering "RERUN"


The other day at work I called the tank wash we use (The place that cleans our Chemical trailers after we deliver) and Shirley answered. She is the wash rack's clerk. Trying to be funny and make people smile I said "Shirley, I need a favor."

She said "What is it."

I said, "When Rog, Dewayne and Rerun come to the diner, tell them I will see them later."

I laughed and my co-worker laughed. Shirley didn't laugh.

I could not believe that she did not know who Rog, Dewayne and Rerun were. I quickly explained to her about the show "What's Happening".

After that I felt the urge to google Rerun.

Fred Berry passed away on October 21, 2003. I didn't even realize he died. Between the time I read some information on him and now, it is starting to come back to me. I sort of remember him passing.

He starred in the show. He battled drug addiction and alcoholism in the 1980s. During the 90s, he became a Baptist minister. He lost 100 pounds after learning he had diabetes. Rerun got around. He was married six times to 4 different women. Berry appeared in various films after the "What's Happening" days. He was recovering from a stroke at his Los Angeles home when he died.

Rest in Peace Rerun.

No comments: