Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Back to Reality...

Back to Life…
Back to Reality
With a continued slap in the face

Last Blog: 1-5-09: off to Mexico. “what fun..Rock n Roll High School!”
Well we are back and well the dreaded “R” word greets us.
But we are so thankful for the trip and the good “R” word: RELAXATION.
I will blog about the trip next but…

THIS AND THAT: A BACK TO REALITY BLOG…

“Back to life, back to reality…” Have you ever heard that song? Hate it.

I am officially on the Arizona Cardinals bandwagon. But I have always been a Kurt Warner fan. I hope he wins another Super Bowl.
I would love a Ravens- Cardinals Super Bowl, but wouldn’t be upset regardless of who gets there.

The economy AINT all that bad.
A while back we switched some $$$ from a Chase money market account to another investor. We went with the “guy”. We had to leave $2.85 in the Chase account. Explanation: too long to write or understand. BUT, great news, in 2008, that $2.85 made a profit. It is now worth $2.86.

Sports Illustrated – even though I cancelled – still send me issues. It is am ok magazine but I only got it so I could get the free LSU gifts (after LSU won the National Championship last year – football). In the latest issue I saw this news…
Jan Kemp passed away at the young age of 59.
Who is Jan Kemp? 1-Someone I applauded. 2-An example of how many Americans put sports in front of truth, honesty and “doing the right thing.”
Jan Kemp (died of complications from Alzheimer’s) blew the whistle on “academic irregularities” at the University of Georgia in the 1980s. She went through hell while trying to do the right thing. She was fired after complaining that the University exaggerated grades of many football players. She was awarded a $1.08 million dollar settlement after suing and was reinstated as English professor. Changes were made at the school – for the better. She was blamed by lots of fans for the school’s football struggles after the scandal. She attempted suicide twice after she was initially dismissed. After reinstatement she stayed on until her retirement in 1990.
I leave you with this. It is ashamed at how we put so much emphasis on sports that we are willing to overlook what is right and true.
When I think of Jan Kemp, I think of the fictitious character Batman. He did so right, but was judged unfairly by Gotham City citizens.

In the title, I wrote a "slap in the face". I will leave that alone right now....Adios

Have a great day!

No comments: