Saturday, November 15, 2008

Five People I Would Like To Have Dinner With





5 PEOPLE I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE DINNER WITH

Oct. – Nov. 2008


I am sure you have seen these blogs, articles, emails, etc. I actually have been thinking about this as well. In passing, I heard something on one of the National News Shows about it, but I didn’t catch the details. If you Google the subject, you get many hits.
So, here is my list and reasons (if they may make sense) why:
Before I get to the list. Let me narrow the possible choices down. My list includes people who 1-are alive; 2- people I don’t know personally. Unfortunately, these guidelines almost cause the list consist of “famous” people (my list is not intended that way….but).
So here is my list and reasons:

Before I get to the “5”, I will list some “Honorable Mentions” (so to speak).
When I started thinking about this, many people came to my mind. A lot more people came to mind than the number that is listed below. I couldn’t list them all so here are the “Honorable Mentions”.
Note: there are some intriguing people on this list, picking the “5” was difficult.

LUNCH

Queen Latifah – Actress, Singer, etc. she was actually on my short list for dinner. Something about her presence moves me. I think she would be a great Dinner guest.

Michael Stipe – lead singer for R.E.M. his surreal lyrics are attractive. I don’t necessarily agree with all of his views but they would be fun to discuss.

Dave Grohl – in my mind one of the most talented musicians – period. Former drummer for Nirvana and front man for the Foo Fighters. On the first Foo Fighters album – he played all of the instruments and recorded the whole thing himself.

Bob Mould – was Guitarist, vocalist and songwriter for one of my favorite bands, Husker Du. I enjoy his website and his blogs. If he ever played close to New Orleans, I would be there. He appeals to me, not just his music but his thoughts, etc.

John McCain – I had to laugh. He was quoted as saying that he can now rest at night. He has been one of America’s best.

Robert Duvall – by far one of my favorite actors. Bobby. I love his movies and think that he would fun to talk to.

Denzel Washington – like Duvall, one of my favorite actors. I would like to talk about some of the “real life” roles he has taken in the past and his thoughts on the real life people he portrayed.

Morgan Freeman – Again, he is one of the best actors of all time. He is from Mississippi which makes him a neighbor. His knowledge of the past and thoughts of the present and future would be quite fascinating to listen to.

Natalie Merchant – lead singer of the 10,000 Maniacs. Her lyrics and views are significant. Her singing voice is peaceful. She is one of the best female voices (in song and causes) ever.

Kyra Sedgwick – she is just a great actress. Plus she lives in Manhattan.

Will Smith – “In west Philadelphia…” Will Smith is just good! His humor and his serious side would make for a great visit.

Tommy Lasorda – Former manager of MY Los Angeles Dodgers. I actually told him hello at a Dodgers Spring training awhile back. The rest speaks for itself.

Joe Torre – Current manager of MY Los Angeles Dodgers. He is a true winner. Plus he used to live (and probably still has a house) in Manhattan. I would love to pick his and Lasorda’s brain about baseball.

Orel Hershiser – the “Bulldog”. He was one of the best Dodger pitchers ever. I respect him and think highly of him from the baseball standpoint.

Steve Sax – one of my favorite all time Dodger players. He played 2B in the early 80’s. Former Rookie of the Year.

Joel C. Rosenberg – a terrific author. He is one of my favorites. His books are thought provoking even though most of them are fiction. His web site is excellent. And he is a Christian author.

Sandy Koufax – The Best Major League Pitcher….EVER. His record speaks for itself. He still deals with the Dodgers, but he is a very private person. I would like to just sit and chit chat. If I had a dog, its name would be KOUFAX.

Nicholas Cage – Like Duvall, Smith, Washington, etc. He is one of the best actors around. I haven’t seen a Cage movie I did not like.

Joe Paterno – No disrespect to Paul “Bear” Bryant, but Mr. Paterno has to be the greatest College Football coach of all time. He just keeps going………Imagine the conversations you could have with him.

Eric Clayton – Lead Singer of the Christian Gothic Rock band, Saviour Machine. The band’s lyrics are enormous. Their Legend series is awesome. I would pry and ask him when or if the Legend series will ever be completed.

Henry Ross Perot – I just like this guy. Plus I think his financial views could actually help the U.S. through our current crisis.

All of the above listed would be tremendous to have dinner with, but I had to pick 5. Below is my “5”


Ted Dekker – Without a doubt, my favorite author. I have read all but 2 of Ted’s books (and I will be getting to them soon). Two of his books have been turned into movies. In my opinion, all of his books would make a great movie. Ted is a Christian author whose mind is staggering. The stories that come from his pages seize me and don’t let me go. Many of his books and stories intertwine and that blows me away. One of his sayings is to “Dive Deep.” A conversation with him would be deep, but oh so entertaining and thought provoking.

Mike Ness – I like all kinds of music. I like many bands. If you made me choose my favorite band, it would be Social Distortion. Mike Ness started Social Distortion in 1978. I remember watching the Documentary Another State of Mind in the early 80’s. I saw that and thought that this band, Social Distortion would be more than just a young Punk band. And they were. They evolved into something fantastic. Much of this was due to Ness and co-founder Dennis Danell (he passed in 2000). Ness has battled drug addiction and other issues (he is the only original member still with the band) and much of his life has come out in his lyrics. Ness formed Time Bomb records as well as Black Kat Kustoms (he love old cars). He recorded two solo albums in 1999 as well. I think talking to him about life’s experiences and struggles would make for a stimulating dinner. My little brother and I actually met Mike Ness. We went to one of his solo shows in New Orleans and shook his hand in front of his tour bus. He is just a cool dude.

Bobby Flay – This guy can cook. I love his style and combinations in cooking. My wife and I ate at Mesa Grill in Manhattan. Was he there? Who knows, but one thing for sure, the influence he has on that menu is marvelous. I had to include a Chef on this list, but beyond Bobby Flay’s cooking, his business sense and personality (at least what we see on TV) make him worthy of this choice. He has hosted several Food TV programs and owns 6 restaurants. Plus if he is invited to dinner, he can cook (and give some pointers).

Vaclav Havel – “The real test of a man is not when he plays the role that he wants for himself, but when he plays the role destiny has for him.” This quote from Havel is one of my favorites. He is a Czech playwright, writer and politician. He was the tenth (and last) President of Czechoslovakia (from 1989 to 1992) and the first President of the Czech Republic (1993 – 2003). He wrote 20 plus plays and many non-fiction works. He received much recognition for his work and has received many honors. He led the Czech Republic to a multi-party democracy. He is still very influential today (in the Czech Republic and abroad).

Ricky Graham – New Orleans’ own. Ricky is a Home grown actor who is New Orleans through and though. My wife and I first saw him in The Mystery of Irma Vep. After that, we sought out everything that he either performed in or directed. He is side-splitting funny. One of his plays, The Black and White Blues was picked up and performed Off-Broadway. He has traveled all over performing, but New Orleans is his home. It would be a comical dinner with Ricky Graham there.

So this is my list.

Hey, who knows, tomorrow my “5” might change.

No comments: